Sunday, December 7, 2008

Legos and Robots Rock!

Yesterday was the Wyoming FLL (first lego league) Championship. I volunteered to help with our school's team and we have been practicing since September. I helped as much as I could, but being a new teacher requires many meetings and taking classes, so I missed almost half of our FLL practices. Anyway... FLL is pretty fun for 9-14 year olds. It's basically like being on a basketball team for nerds. The top team goes to Atlanta to compete against teams from all over the world. Our team tied for 10th for Robot round points. They did pretty good considering they are mostly 4th graders and competed against 8th and 9th graders. Also, we were in 1st place after the first 12 teams and by the time 58 teams had gone were were still in 5th. It was a LONG, but fun day.
Here 2 of our team members are helping their robot get ready to run another mission.












Here's a look at the competition tables from the stands.












Here's the crowd during opening ceremonies. I am guessing there were about 500 kids there plus coaches and parent. Good times. All four of us who coached our team are very glad it's over, but we'll probably all help next year because we are nerds and enjoy this kind of science, robotics thing.




Today Nate and I went to church to watch the children's choir, then went to lunch with my mom and dad, then did a bunch of Christmas shopping and we have just a few things left to get, but we're pretty much done. Now I am exhausted and can't believe we go back to work in 10 hours. YUCK! Weekends aren't long enough. I did absolutely nothing in my house this weekend... that's always awesome later in the week. :(
I better get some stuff done before I go to sleep... have a great week!

No comments: