Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hospice

Nate's dad has been in hospice since Saturday.  I am one of those people who am comfortable in hospitals.  My mom was a medical transcriptionist and we spent time in the hospital or various doctor's offices while she worked.  So visiting dad at the hospital on and off since January hasn't made me too uncomfortable beyond the reason we were visiting him, but I know it was not comfortable for him or his wife and sons... He had his last surgery to replace the stent in his liver on July 28 and hasn't been able to be home since then.  Hopsice is a place of comfort.  He's been able to rest.  Everything they do there is based off of his wants, not doctor's orders.  So many people have come to see him.  We have had the opportunity to meet family, his work friends, sit and tell stories, or just sit and enjoy the quiet.  It's been so nice.  Nathellia and Briella bring a lot of life into that place each time they are there.  Kids have such a way of making all situations full of life.  We are just glad that Jason's as comfortable as possible.  We do not know how long dad will be with us.  We are grateful that we have time to spend there as school hasn't started yet and we have nothing else too pressing keeping us from being together as a family.  I can say I have never felt the way I feel lately.  There's this constant exhaustion hanging around and it's hard to wait, not know, and try to get in all the thoughts and memories while he's still here with us.  Jason has been very upbeat and talkative the entire time he's been there and I know he's enjoyed everyone visiting and connecting while, essentially, saying goodbye to him.  This time in our lives is very special, fragile, and life changing and I pray we all trust that God's timing is perfect and that we can be there for dad.  He told me Hospice is a godsend and is very glad to be spending his time there. 

No comments: